Wednesday, April 17, 2013

JAPANESE HOSPITAL CARE


                           JAPANESE HOSPITAL CARE

          On December 26th last year in Tokyo I was packed to go to Maui the next day. Instead, I tripped, fell, and broke my hip. Fortunately, the woman on duty at the desk that night was in charge of that department. I crawled to the phone. she came up and, together with a man. got me into a wheelchair and called the ambulance. The negative part of this event was that it took the ambulance three hours to find a hospital that could accept me. The problem is that though there are approximately one thousand hospitals of this size (one hundred beds) in Tokyo, most of them are filled with seniors with broken bones in this very aging population. This situation means that sometimes individuals do die en route to the hospital. I heard of a man with a heart attack who did die when twenty-five hospitals refused him. Six hospitals refused me until I finally was accepted by the Honda Hospital, one of the hundreds of hospitals in Tokyo treating broken hips and other broken bones.

          Once I was accepted, it was necessary to provide a deposit of the equivalent of $4,000 in yen in cash. In this emergency I did not have that amount in cash with me. The woman from the front desk had accompanied me on that three hour ride, and it was now midnight. She loaned me her phone, and I called a long-term Japanese friend who came to the hospital at midnight and paid the deposit.  Not only that, he slept all night on a plastic sofa in a cold lobby to check on me the next morning.

          I was taken for an X-ray shortly later and, to be sure, the hip was broken. I was told a patient often must wait a month for a surgery date.
Fortunately, the surgeon performed the hip replacement two days later, on the 28th. My rehabilitation began the next day, walking with a walker which enables a patient to walk without bending over, as with an American walker. The next two weeks in Honda Hospital were an eye-opener.

          First, the surgery was perfect, though I have often heard of  hip replacements in the US that are problematic. The physical therapist in charge of rehab was extraordinary, and I had a session with him the following day and nearly every day thereafter.

What I will always remember especially is the exceptional nursing care, something I know from experience I would not have expected in an American hospital. Nurses were so caring that I marveled. I was so impressed that I tried to remember the names of as many nurses as possible. One or two of them behaved somewhat comically to induce patients to laugh or at least to feel better. One of them sang as she came to our beds in the morning, and we never had to wait more than two minutes if we rang for them, even during the night. If that were not enough, one of the nurses brought me a gift two nights before I was discharged. I suppose the fact that I speak Japanese and that I was only the second foreign patient this hospital has had helped. Friends both Japanese and American came to visit daily during my two weeks there, bringing books, newspapers and delicacies.

I must say also that the hospital diet was far more healthful than the typical American diet, even in hospitals. I was intrigued by the dishes brought three times a day. The hospital nutritionist came to see me three times to see if I was satisfied with the fare. Other than being unable to eat rice three times a day I was more than satisfied.  The hospital nutritionist  came to visit as well, and went beyond the call of duty, buying some special yogurt for me.

          The office staff was also more than accommodating, bringing a
phone to my bed when concerned friends and family called from the U.S.
Fortunately I had purchased insurance to cover such an exigency, and all this superior care was provided at about one-tenth what it would have cost in an American hospital.

          Why is it that we in the U.S. tolerate health insurance so much more expensive than in other industrialized nations, when these astronomical costs do not ensure enough hospital beds or physicians and a large proportion of our population is not covered by health insurance?

          When I returned home to the U.S. friends commiserated, saying wasn’t it sad that this had happened in a foreign country, so far from home.
My reply was always that Japan was the best place to be in this situation,
with excellent care far beyond what I could have expected in the U.S.

Joyce Lebra
www.joycechapmanlebra.com

1 comment:

  1. Joyce, I was so sorry to hear about you breaking your hip. I'm glad to hear the positive notes of what must have, otherwise, been a very trying experience.

    ReplyDelete